Immobiliser

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

dream_tripping
New Member - Welcome them!
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Hatchback

Immobiliser

Postby dream_tripping » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi,

Know there are a few threads on this issue but my fault is a little different I think...

To cut a long story short I disconnected the battery on my '97 Rover 214si to do a clutch change, the job took a bit longer than planned due to needing a gearbox repair too so the battery was disconnected for almost 4 weeks. Prior to doing the work I had to order the EKA code as both fobs wore out over time, the EKA code was correct and I'd been using the key no issues for ages prior to the clutch failing. With the car still on axle stands but re-assembled (battery and ecu reconnected) I started the car no problem, as the gearbox needs to be filled when the car is on a flat level surface I stopped it and lowered etc to finish off the repair. Here's the issue, since lowering the car the immobiliser has re-activated and we just can't input the EKA code successfully, we've tried hundreds of times. The only thing I can think of that's stopping it working is a while back I put a little WD40 in the drivers lock as it was a bit stiff getting all the key use...?

Really frustrated and deflated with this one as I've done all the work with my 14 year old son, it's really his project car so after all that work we're gutted we can't get it to start so we can try it :(

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

961tat
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Cabriolet

Re: Immobiliser

Postby 961tat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:11 pm

This happened to me too , car disconnected from battery for 6 weeks , started first time but after spin to check out new cams :clapping ,i locked the car and in the morning the immobilizer would not come off when unlocked and no code with my car :slapme , we disconnected the battery from fob and car , left over night and reconnected and all is work as it should . hope this works for you if you haven't already tried this . :D

dream_tripping

Postby dream_tripping » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:40 pm

Thanks for the reply, I did disconnect it again over night but it obviously it hadn't drained fully as the clock etc still had the correct time (and it was still the same), I'll disconnect again and leave til maybe Friday.

Thanks again for the reply

961tat
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Cabriolet

Postby 961tat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Disconnect both live and negative on car battery , hope that works for you :D

dream_tripping

Postby dream_tripping » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Yep, done :) Fingers crossed. Thanks again

dream_tripping

Postby dream_tripping » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:05 am

Sadly it's still the same :( Can't spend any more money on getting someone in to look at it so think it might be off to car heaven :(

Cromp85
Getting Settled In
Car Ownership: Rover 220 Nasp Hatchback

Postby Cromp85 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:42 pm

Try checking the switch on the lock barrel itself. Trace the 2 wires from the switch down to the first plug, disconnct it and try shorting the pins that the switch would use. This should help you to see if the switch is at fault.
My Rovers to date:
1994 Rover 220GSI in Tahiti blue (On the road)
2002 MG ZR 105 in Solar red (On loan)
1995 214i (On SORN)

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary
Car Ownership: Rover 220 Turbo Hatchback

Postby 220 GSi turbo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Later cars did not have a switch on the door lock barrel, the lock/unlock signals were sent from switch contacts in the lock mechanism itself. It is possible that the mechanism has now failed and is not sending its signals back to the alarm module (also known as the 5AS).
This could mean that the module has not received the EKA code correctly and if you keep sending it incorrect codes, it goes into 'lockdown' for several hours and will not then even accept the correct code.

you have a couple of options now.

first would be to get a couple of remote fobs programmed to the car and then you could use the system as Rover originally intended :wink3 Some people can do this for you by mail order (you will probably need to remove the alarm module from the car and send that off)

Second would be to buy an alarm module, key fob and engine ECU all from the same car and fit them to yours. You would need to make sure that the engine ECU has the same part number as the one already fitted to your car.

Hope that helps.

Also, if you could let us know where you are, there may be somebody local to you who is willing to help.
1995 220GSi Turbo: owned for 16 years
1994 216SLi
2000 25 GTi

Daily: 25 TD

Previously: 216 Coupe L887PTR(1993-95) 214SLi N219EPO(1995-96) 420GSi Turbo L955UKV(1997-2004) 214SEi M884BMR(2004-11) 420GSi Tourer M650XEX(2005-6) 214 SEi M103BCW(2011-12)

Return to “Technical and Diagnosis”