How To: Replace a front wing (long indicator)

Is your car looking tired? Need some advice on how to keep your car in great shape? Into detailing and cleaning and want some advice on products. Then ask away in here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Vulgalour
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 414 Saloon

How To: Replace a front wing (long indicator)

Postby Vulgalour » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:21 pm

This is a little instructional on how to replace the front wing on your 200 or 400. The car in question here is a 1994 400 with a pre-facelift front end and long indicators. There may be some minor differences in construction on your car depending on year and trim.

This is a fairly easy job and the only tools you will need should be:
Cross-blade screwdriver
10mm socket, extension and ratchet

The wing being replaced is the front passenger item. Rust is the reason for replacement, I already have a repainted wing waiting to go on.

You will need to remove the indicators and headlights and at least partially remove the bumper to get to all the fixings.

A pillar
Open the front door. This gives you access to the two A pillar bolts without removing the door itself. Your regular small hex 10mm socket will fit in this gap, just be careful of the paint on the door if you haven't the space to open it fully. The one at the top is easy to see, the one at the bottom less so as it's generally in shadow. DO NOT UNFASTEN THE HINGES. With these two unfastened you do not need the door open anymore.

There is a third bolt in this area at the bottom of the A pillar/sill, it may be covered in factory underseal as this one is and you may need to scrape some of it away.

Wing Rail
Along the top of the wing are three bolts that go into the wing rail. These are really easy to access.

Lights
On the leading edge of the wing, just above the headlight, is a single screw. This holds the indicator in and needs undoing. You cannot remove the headlight to get better access to this screw because the headlight is held in with a fixing hidden behind the indicator. With this undone you can now slide the indicator unit forwards out of the wing and unplug it.

The top left screw here goes into the body of the headlight and above it is a black locating peg. Be careful when removing the headlight that you don't break that peg. The bottom two screws go through the trim under the headlight and into the wing, both need removing. It is easier to unscrew these and remove the headlight with the trim attached than it is to remove the trim so that's what I recommend. NOTE: this is a long indicator car, it may be a different assembly for short indicator cars

Remove the two bolts that hold the headlight to the slam panel. Also loosen but do not remove the nut that holds the headlight to the bracket that the headlight sits on. If your car has an earlier grille type, undo the four screws that hold it to the headlight units to access that nut. If your car is a facelift type, the grille will be attached to the bonnet and nothing will need to be done about it.

Bumper
Once you have both headlights and indicators removed you will have access to the bumper brackets. Loosen the two bolts on the side of the crash cans (the bits that go between the car and the bumper) so that you can slide the bumper forwards. The sides of the bumper are held to the wing by sliding onto locating pegs. You may need to ease the plastic inner arch out of the bumper to get the bumper to move forwards.

With the bumper now removed (you do not need to remove the bumper from the undertray) you can now get to the hidden bolt that holds the leading edge of the wing to the inner wing of the car. Access is okay, you just won't get a lot of swing on the ratchet so it can be a little slow going.

If you have mudflaps fitted you may need to unscrew or otherwise remove these to free the plastic inner arch from the wing. If not you can wiggle the wing a little to break the seal and lift it free of the car, being careful not to damage the paint on your door or bumper, of course. It is worth cleaning everything up while you're in here too, there's a rather nasty dirt trap at the bottom of the A pillar/sill area.

All that remains then is to swap any relevant trim over to your new wing and reverse the procedure. Good luck!

GTiJohn
Club Chairperson
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Coupe

Re: How To: Replace a front wing (long indicator)

Postby GTiJohn » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Excellent explanation - thank you :clapping

This will come in very handy soon as I may have to replace on of my wings :D
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:55 pm

I hope it saves you some time by not having to figure out the front end arrangement. I'd be happy to do other How To mini articles like this one if there's interest.

1234dist
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 420 Turbo Saloon

Postby 1234dist » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:57 pm

How to work in 30 degree heat when you part ginger :mouthshut

:*laughing my fat rear end off*
Coupe Project K785OAT (abs fixing again :cool )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP
220 Coupe now barely a shell :rip

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Simple, you just need an air conditioned suit with a tinted visor. Like this guy.

1234dist
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 420 Turbo Saloon

Postby 1234dist » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:40 pm

I had one of those in the 90's...*laughs*
Coupe Project K785OAT (abs fixing again :cool )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP
220 Coupe now barely a shell :rip

alviseven
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

Postby alviseven » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:39 pm

That looks a very good wing you are taking off there! Mine fall off when I change them! The last one all but fell in two as the rust worms were really holding hands. However I can confirm that the short wing indicator process is identical just the holes are shorter for the plastic - bolts are the same just the longer indicator has a little pip on the rear of the lens and a different hockey stick under the headlamp. I have one old sided car with one of each type on opposing sides. No one yet spotted it as you never see both sides unless you look! Nice easy pictures to follow.
Twin G reg Red 216GSi Rovers

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:49 pm

The wing I've taken off is repairable, it just won't be if I leave it on the car for much longer, now is a good time to take it off and put it on the ever-growing To Do pile. Good to know the short indicator is the same process.

ROVER-25X
Golden Oldie
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Cabriolet

Postby ROVER-25X » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Interesting car. :D
"Stop being such a ### and polybush it" - 1234dist

ROVER 25 Mk1 1.4 Impression S (AKA the 25X - SORN'd, possibly breaking :sad)
ROVER 25 Mk2 2.0D (Backup derv)
ROVER Cabriolet 1.6K (Resto Project)
ASTRA TwinTop Exclusiv Black 1.9CDTi (Daily Driver)

Return to “Bodywork & Detailing”