1994 Rover 414Sli

Want to share photos and details of your projects? Then post them here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

Re: 1994 Rover 414Sli

Postby Johnny 216GSi » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:55 pm

So we've seen you spraying the front wing bottom halves. Is it complete now (all white at the bottom - front bumper too) ? I could do with seeing it...

Are you still looking to go concerto at the back and/or front?
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Vulgalour
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 414 Saloon

Postby Vulgalour » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:19 am

Eventually front bumper white, rear end Concerto-ised. I'm just a bit stuck at the moment because I need to keep the Rover or the Princess mobile at all times and both need jobs doing which need to be slotted around work commitments and Other Things.

The plan is one weekend I'll pull the front bumper and wing off the Rover, repaint and refit accordingly and use the Princess for daily stuff. Then another weekend I need to pull the Princess off the road to resolve some niggles like a bit more dashboard wiring and use the Rover for daily stuff. It's just finding the spare consecutive days that's the trouble at the moment.

I'm still after a Concerto driver's side rear under light trim piece. I could do with the bottom section of a tailgate or boot lid too. Trouble is every Concerto I've found either has these bits missing already or are so far away I can't make the time to go and collect. If anyone happens to have a tailgate, even if it's just the bottom half since that's all I need, and a rear trim that would be super helpful.

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:54 pm

I need to replace the front wing on the Rover with the one I've repainted and since it's too hot for me to do my job since all I'm doing is sticking to and/or sweating on any art I try and work on (which is less than ideal) I decided somewhat foolishly to work outside in the baking heat instead. Because manual labour is just what you want to do when it's in the low 30s. Happily, front wings on R8 Rovers are a bolt-on affair. Unhappily, there's a lot to actually undo in order to get them off. I'm working on the passenger side, all of these steps work the same on the driver's side.

There are 2 bolts on the A pillar, one on the sill/bottom of the A pillar, 3 on the wing rail, one on the inner wing and several screws to remove. Let's do the A pillar ones first, you need the door open for that so you can just get a socket into the gap. Yellow circles show where the bolts are as it's not always clear from a static picture.

The one on the sill/lower A pillar can be got to without having the door open, it's hidden just behind the mudflap. Looks like this is an original wing too since this lower bolt still has factory underseal over it so it's not done too badly to last as long as it has.

Wing rail bolts are really easy to get to as long as you've remembered to open the bonnet. You shouldn't need that instruction really, if you do then put the tools away and have a quiet word with yourself.

Behind the headlight there's a screw that holds the indicator in place. It's a little fiddly to get to and you can't remove the headlight to help because you need the indicator out to get to the screws that hold the headlight in.

Top left screw goes into the headlight through the wing while the bottom left and right screws go into the under-headlight trim through the wing. These all need removing. Not also the small black peg above the top screw; this locates the headlight unit, DO NOT BREAK THIS. You'll also want to unplug the indicator unit as it doesn't pull through the wing.

With that lot undone, remove the headlight unit by unbolting the two very visible bolts on the slam panel and loosening but not removing the nut that goes under the bracket. Be careful removing the headlight, don't break the black locating peg off. Not shown here is the grille since that differs between cars, on mine it's held in place with two screws that go into the brackets on the headlight. Facelift grilles are attached to the bumper and don't need removing for this job.

You now have access to the bumper bolts which live under the headlights. You can either unbolt the crash cans from the chassis or loosen the bolts that hold the bumper brackets to the crash cans. I did the latter. You can then slide the bumper forwards off the locating pegs on the wings allowing you to get to the last bolt holding the wing on.

That last bolt is well hidden, you can't get to it without removing the bumper or the undertray. Because the screws holding the bumper to the undertray are normally stuck and rusty (and mine is no exception here), if you're just replacing the wing this is the best way to do it. Access is a little poor for this bolt with the arch liner getting in the way of decent ratchet swing, but there's plenty of space for hands so you shouldn't have too much grief.

In the case of bumper removal, there's several screws and a couple of bolts holding the undertray to the bumper, easily accessible from underneath the car without needing to jack it up. The circles show where screws are stuck and the heads just chewing up on mine, I'll have to get creative removing those without damaging the plastic parts. Picture shot from above looking down into the back of the bumper.

If you have mudflaps fitted, unscrew them from the wing if you can so they're not trapping the arch liner. If not (or if your mudflaps are as ruined as mine and just fall off) you should be able to wiggle the wing a little and then lift it free of the car. You'll find a dirt trap that will benefit from a clear out at the bottom of the sill/A pillar section.

Don't forget to unplug the side repeater too. Once you've done that the wing lifts free quite easily, ready to be replaced.

Leaving your car looking something like this.

Some time ago I came back to find the front of my car misaligned and was certain it had been reversed into. I now know it has after seeing that one of the bumper brackets is damaged. The crash cans are in very good condition, I wonder if they might have been replaced at some point.

It was too hot to do anything else so I've left it at that for now. Princess is behaving itself lately so I at least have transport while I get the new wing fitted and the front bumper repainted once I free it from the undertray. I might go back and get that new wing on later tonight if it cools down or tomorrow if it doesn't.

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member

Postby Johnny 216GSi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:04 pm

That is absolutely superb write up. Thanks for that. I've mentally files away all the info but I think I'm going to screen-grab the lot :) My wings need to come off at some point too, but only for a spring clean and anti-rust coating inside.

1234dist
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 420 Turbo Saloon

Postby 1234dist » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:07 pm

If it was the fork bit, yes parts are available but unfortunately yours has damaged rear parts which will mean replacing the unit.

Lucky you know the dist :clapping

He has one sat here awaiting collection :cool
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT (issues :glare )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP
tatti :rip

crepello
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Hatchback

Postby crepello » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:40 pm

Vulgalour wrote:The crash cans are in very good condition, I wonder if they might have been replaced at some point.

They have. Factory fitted cans got a coat of body colour.

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:41 pm

Do we think this car might have been the middle of a low speed sandwich? New crash cans at the front, scrapyard rear lights, glass cubes under the rear seat and in the boot... it all adds up. Someone loved it enough to fix it when it happened. Dist, I would like to take you up on the new bit of bumper *but* I'm all out of cash so it's going to have to wait a while for me to save up some pennies to get to the Chapel and chuck you some cash for it.

New wing now fitted, no point putting the rest on until I've repainted the bumper which I shan't be doing today as I've run out of time and energy. Paint is still can-fresh on the wing so I've got to put some effort in to get that all polished and nice again which I'll do when the front end is reassembled. I didn't want to polish the wing off the car as they're quite flexible and seemed prone to deforming a little too easily. Refitting was easier than removal and because of when the car was built, no effort was required to get everything aligned.

My only concern is that the red on the wing looks a lot brighter than the red on the door so I might have painted it in the wrong Flame Red. Not that it matters too much, the car already has about four difference shades of Flame Red on it.

1234dist
Club Member

Postby 1234dist » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:26 pm

As with all old paint you need to blend into the surroundings.
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:36 pm

That and it's not polished yet which will change the colour again. It's not a show car, it's fine. One day I'd like to get it repainted properly.

1234dist
Club Member

Postby 1234dist » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 pm

If not show car, don't bother with a respray.

Far too expensive, devastated if scratched or stone chipped.
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:29 pm

This is very true. Even so, it'd be nice to have nice paint that I didn't have to spend many hours of my own time creating. Did I mention I hate sanding? Because I hate sanding.

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member

Postby Johnny 216GSi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Vulgalour wrote:This is very true. Even so, it'd be nice to have nice paint that I didn't have to spend many hours of my own time creating. Did I mention I hate sanding? Because I hate sanding.

Everyone hates sanding, except Mr. orbital sander. He loves it.

Try stripping the entire underside suspension down to bare metal using a 40-year old electric drill and 4 packs of wire wheels for that extra-level of despair.

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Nope. Nopety nope nope nope. You're on your own with that sort of fun!

The weather has cooled down to something like normal today and I learned I don't in fact have over a week to get the Rover sorted for Preston Park, just a few days. Better crack on with that bumper then. I did have to grind the heads off the screws holding the bumper to the undertray and now I can't get the remaining good screws to go back in the holes properly to hold the two together, I'll probably deploy some zip ties since it's a part of the car that's never seen. The undertray seems to sit in place okay so it'll do for now I guess.

Painting the bumper was easy. Key it back, wash it down, let it dry, mask it up, prime, paint, lacquer... really fast today because the weather has cut down drying times considerably. I wasn't expecting the bumper to be ready to handle until tomorrow so I was delighted that I could actually get the bumper on today. There wasn't anything to deal with on the car before putting the bumper on, no point cleaning everything behind it because it'll only get dirty again and there's no rust to sort out.

Spent some time once the bumper was in place loosely adjusting the angle and height with these bolts...

...then when I was happy the gap was fairly even to the wing and the arch radius was as matched as I could get it...

...it was just a case of refitting the lights and grille. Alignment was pretty good, certainly better than before I took it apart, with the exception of the grille which is being a bit stubborn about sitting where I want it to for some reason.

The number plate needs replacing next really, having repainted the bumper has really highlighted how bad the condition of it is. The rear plate could do with being replaced too so I'll do both at the same time. I do like that the front plate now blends into the bumper. I really dislike number plates on the front of cars so anything that makes them less obvious is a good thing in my book.

Just the gold trim inserts to do and a jolly good clean and we'll be good for Preston Park.

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member

Postby Johnny 216GSi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:29 pm

Now to be known as "the full Lotus, " the "Lotus blossom" or the "Lotus position." Take your pick.

I really like it to be honest. Sticking with the duo tone and mixing it up a bit is a nod to the original car with some personalisation at the same time.

And gold never made it as a trim finish in the automotive industry (except if your name begins with "shake") but there's no rationale for it, so I'm all for it.

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:56 pm

Gold trim has been used on production cars, just very rarely. Lexus did it with their badges, Ford did it with the Zodiac badges and I think Volvo did too which one of their cars. I blame rich people with no taste for making gold unappealing, the same sorts of idiots that made pink cars unappealing too. I fricking love gold trim and pink cars.

Return to “Project Cars”